Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Jennifer, Hats, Scarves, and Jane Austen

One of several close friends named Jennifer (I once worked in an office full of Jennifers – six in all) was in town late last week and over the weekend. She was kind enough to come over and hang out with me for part of her time here.  Not the most thrilling of endeavors for a visitor, particularly during the first week after a “big” chemo, when I am likely to be even less active and engaged than usual.  She was a good companion and seemed content with the slow pace of things, my occasional lost thoughts, and unfinished sentences – the joys of chemo brain.  We caught up on news, though honestly there was very little news that I could offer, watched Pride and Prejudice (the Knightley version) for the umpteenth time, and she helped the household along on its quest to complete some leftover Sunday crossword puzzles. 

Jennifer also very gamely watched YouTube videos with me of women demonstrating different ways to tie headscarves.  I can manage to tie a decent square scarf, but had not ventured into the realm of oblong scarves.  Jennifer, a very creative and crafty person, in the best sense of the word, adeptly wrapped me in some of the styles we saw, and gave me confidence to give it a go myself.  I even wore one to the local repertory theater on Sunday night where I saw the ever-cheery MacBeth.  It was fun, like playing dress up when I was little.  She even brought me a fabulous fleece hat she had made herself – soft, warm and comfy.  I would post its picture here now, but it went back to Minnesota with her for some slight adjustments  -- my head is apparently quite small, so she will adjust the size a bit. 


It was lovely to have a fresh face on the scene and to have someone here who was comfortable and easy with the snail’s pace of activity at my place.  If one is looking for excitement, this is not the place to be, at least at the moment! (If ever!)  Thanks for spending time your time with me, Jennifer.  It was great to see you!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Resized hat is in the mail, along with Sedaris cds.

It was great to spend time with you!