Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Maya

Sadly, I have to report that Maya died on Monday night, nearly six months after being diagnosed with nasal cancer. She had a good last day, and surprised me by chasing the frisbee more energetically than she had the previous few days.  Admittedly it was much cooler on Monday than over the weekend, so I shouldn't read too much into her enthusiasm for her last round of exercise.  As always, she wolfed down her dinner, and was her usual bossy self.  She never hesitated to let us know what she wanted and she had a built in clock that caused her to pester us at 10 p.m. each night so she could have one last outing for the evening and get her biscuits before going to bed.  If we lingered too long watching the news, she would speak out with her insistent one note bark.  Ignore her for a few minutes and she would let out another, and another, until the sharpness of her tone could not be ignored.

She had had a couple of minor nosebleeds the last few days, which were easily stopped with a dose of medicine squirted up her nostril. Not something any of us, particularly Maya, enjoyed, but it worked.  Nosebleeds are a common problem with nasal cancer and we had been lucky, with only one major bleed in the spring.  Just after 10 on Monday night, we noticed a little blood, and quickly gave her the medicine, but it didn't do the trick this time. We bundled her into the car and took her the vet's office.  The vet on duty was kind and comforting and so very sweet with Maya.  She was also wonderfully honest about the situation.  It helped that we knew going in there what we needed to do.  It didn't take long and was very peaceful, but I have to admit that it broke my heart to let her go.  She was a great companion and I loved that she had such a strong, determined personality. That was the cattle dog in her. I will miss her more than I can ever say.  May she rest in peace.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh Barb, I am so very sorry.

Barb said...

Thanks, Jennifer. I really appreciate your message.

Janine Adams said...

Maya was such a good girl. I loved her strong personality. She was a gracious host when Kramer, Scout and I stayed with you guys for a week back in 1997. I know how much all of you will miss her--and I'll miss her too!