Saturday, May 7, 2011

That Natural Glow

Last week on yet another gray Monday morning, I made my way downtown to my treatment center for my tri-weekly herceptin infusion. This process feels so routine now that the full blown chemotherapy has ended.

In some regards, a lot happened during the three weeks between infusions – and, in fact, during the time since I finished chemotherapy on March 7th.  After a few weeks break, I met with my radiation oncologist on April 6th at my cancer center’s satellite site in the western suburbs, to do a mock-up of my radiation therapy. As always, I went armed with a list of questions – some gleaned from the American Cancer Society web site, others from information friends sent my way.  My friend, Joan came over the day before my appointment to give me a preview.  She was diagnosed a month before I was and was fortunate to be able to forgo chemotherapy.  She did undergo the 6 weeks of radiation therapy under the care of the same doctor I am seeing, Dr. Z, whom she liked very much.  It was great to visit with someone who has recently gone through much of what I was preparing to experience.

At my pre-radiation appointment I became a coloring book for the doctors and the technicians.  I was drawn on with markers by several hands as they outlined the area to be targeted.  I received numerous pen tip sized tattoos to help them line me up with the device that delivers my daily dose of radiation, five days a week for six weeks.  Ouch!  They even took photographs of my decorated chest for help in calibrating the treatment area.  

Abstract art marks the spot!
Since then, I have taken my own photographs to share what the treatment area looks like.
The Linear Accelerator, which delivers radiation treatment
The treatments are flying by with no major ill effects. I have had 17 treatments, with 13 left to go, and my skin is only marginally pinker than before.  I slather my chest each night with a prescription steroid ointment and moisturizing cream that the doctor provided.  The only downside of that is putting on my nightshirt afterwards – it sticks to my slightly gunky skin.  In the mornings I apply cornstarch to the treated area to reduce friction, and then I’m good to go. I do get tired a little more easily, but it’s not the major fatigue many radiation patients experience.  I’m not sure why I’ve been so lucky, but I certainly won’t spend much time worry about the whys on this one.  I just thank my lucky stars and feel very fortunate -- and grateful for whatever it is about me that has made this easier than it could have been! 

No comments: