Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Aaahhh, That's Better!

What a difference a day makes!  I started to feel better yesterday after a bit of a shaky start.  I called Shannon, my nurse, and consulted with her on a number of issues.  She provided reassurance and gave me some good direction and advice.  With her backing, I finally gave in and took some over-the-counter meds to help ease some lingering discomfort.  I had also discovered my own little secret potion and sipped on a regular (yes, the real deal with sugar!) 7-Up.  Then, I took an hour-long nap in the late morning and awoke with enough energy to drive myself to the office for nearly 3 hours of work in the afternoon. 

Although I felt a bit other-worldly and like I was treading water in semi-solidified gelatin, I managed to put one foot in front of the other and was actually somewhat productive – although I do feel I need to double check what I did yesterday before feeling totally satisfied with that statement.  Although I had cut out most of my caffeine, Shannon said that I shouldn’t give it up altogether since my body was used to it and it might give me an energy boost.  I indulged in a mid-afternoon soda, which did seem to pick me up a bit more.  

I left work a little after 4:00 so I wouldn’t tire myself out too much, particularly since last night was the monthly meeting of my photography club.  I wanted to save some energy so I could attend long enough to hear the speaker, who is a friend of mine.  I was responsible for connecting her with the program committee, so I felt more than just an interest in her talk – I felt somewhat responsible to both parties.  An amateur astronomer, Ann gave a great talk on photographing the night skies and other interesting astronomical phenomenon and she was very well received.  I’m happy that I was up for it and made the effort to be there!

Although I’m feeling better, it still seems to take the whole of the morning for me to get up to a reasonable speed.  I woke up fairly early today, had a bit of tea and toast, actually rode the stationary bicycle for ten minutes – a pretty major accomplishment, and one the books say should beget more energy, had a soak in the tub, gently washed my hair (which is still in place), read e-mail and have worked on this piece.  Not a very ambitious series of events, but progress.  Now, fingers-crossed, and with some knocking on wood, I’m gearing up for another few hours in the office this afternoon.  So, off I go to fix a little lunch, gather my supplies and sally forth into the world of commerce.  

No comments: